Friday, October 31, 2008

Working 7 to 5-making a living

I am still enjoying my job. I like working with people. It is very busy and we have a good number of projects. I really enjoy the teams and Project Mangers I work with. Engineers are good people and down to earth. My children are regulary encouraged to follow their grandpa and become engineers. I have been particulary impressed with how the new grads that get hired are mentored and helped along their way. In my line of work it is more like matching skill sets. I like my skill set that is transferrable for a lot of different kinds of work. Public Involvement is great work because it allows you to do so many different things. I am getting certified in my field in addition to my degrees and I have been nominated on the board for the association of the region. This will also help me to further my learning and growth. I work a lot of hours and our family budget can use every dollar. I love that my work pays salary plus comp time. I have had other companies make offers, but I want to build on the investment I've made in the company and the relationships I have established. We turned off all the families cell phones, the internet, cable tv and voice mail trying to cut back. In this economy it is even harder for us to continue to remain debt free. Eight more years and we own our home. Yipee! As a mom working full time you feel so guilty for leaving your family so when you are home you nearly kill yourself trying to make up for it and do everything you can. When all your children are in school all day you can have dinner set up and the house cleaned by 10:00am. When I didn't work there wasn't enough money to go out to lunch with friends, movies, dates, activities, school clothes and home repairs. Now that I work there isn't enough time to do things. That is the same for everyone I suppose. Moms that work full time still do all the same things that other moms do, (volunteer at school, church callings, etc) I just have to do it in less time, and with less sleep. Am I rambling....I am so lucky to have a GREAT HUSBAND. He makes breakfast, packs lunches, does dishes and is so kind and caring.---J